Well, I have just finished my third week and I am learning a lot. I have been teaching math for the last two weeks and had my first 'formal' observation on Thursday. I was reminded again that most often we student teachers are our worst critic! I felt alright about the lesson but thought of a lot that I could change if I were to teach it again...my mentor teacher was so wonderful and gave me lots of very positive feedback. She felt it went very well and there was a lot that she said that i forgot to feel good about! She also gave great constructive feedback regarding mixing up the learning. By this I mean, kinesthetic and a more visual focus for the EAL (English as an additional language) students, which they all are!, which I am going to really focus on. I have been thinking a lot about student learning styles and information processing. I have such a unique situation when it comes to really teaching in a differentiated way considering all these students know at least one, if not two or three, other languages. They need differentiation in a big way.
I am finally settling in enough to bring out my own teaching style. I didn't anticipate how difficult in would be to be in a new classroom without all the time to adjust and feel comfortable. I had gotten very used to Sumas and their style. It is a bit different here considering it is the British system and in an international school. I am thinking a lot about what my teaching style and philosophy is since I come from a different schooling background than the other teachers. I feel so fortunate to have had such a wonderful experience with Carole at Sumas and there are things regarding teaching that i feel strongly about that I learned there and am now transferring to this situation. Student Independence as a learners and as people is a big one. With a younger class I have been thinking about the importance of teaching and expecting this independence.
I also am realizing that I really miss all the resources from Woodring and all our classes! I was not able to bring those (books are hard to travel with as you know!) and there is a lot about those resources that I miss! Well, I know this isn't too detail and is more of a 'thoughts on the run' but just wanted to say hello and tell everyone that I am doing great and I hope you are too. I want to see updated blogs ladies! I am wondering how everyone is doing?!!! ~christine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hi Christine! I am so glad you are settling in and enjoying your student teaching. It seems wonderful and the pictures are gorgeous. It sounds like you are having such a valuable experience and learning tons. Keep us posted! It is so fun to read your blog.
Hi Christine -- It's nice to hear more about how things are going with the teaching now. I can imagine how important / challenging it must be to keep in mind so many different dimensions of English language learners and their needs. I suspect that being in this new and different place will also help you figure out just who you are as a teacher. We've gotten started with our Intern Study Group on Monday afternoons. If you are really interested in getting up at 1:00 AM on a Friday at the end of the term, we'd be happy to be there for you on a Friday afternoon/Sat. morning. If, on the other hand, you just want to wait to fill us in til you get back, that would be OK too. Email me if you're missing the conversation and would like to do the Skyping.
take care,
David
Hey Christine ~
So what techniques are you using to help those EAL students? Because you know how many ELL students I have in my room and I could use some techniques. What pictures is Courtney referring to? How do I see them? Glad you are having a great experience and you have a teacher who recognizes all the great teaching you are doing and reminds you to recognize it in yourself. Come back soon with lots of ideas to share, Carole
Post a Comment