Thursday, October 2, 2008

Started a new unit today!

Today my class started a new Unit in Investigations called "Thousands of miles, thousands of seats". This was the first time that I got to introduce and facilitate a new unit and it went pretty well....except some big misunderstandings but those misunderstandings will be focused on and, hopefully, conquered tomorrow!

Lesson overview: Students were introduced to a 10,000 chart. The chart is very large and multiple students (2 partner pairs) work together on the 10,000 chart during the activity. We began with a discussion about finding landmark numbers on the 10,000 chart and how to do this as a team. The procedure was that 1 person would find three landmark numbers and the other people on the team would make sure that they agreed where the first person put the landmark numbers. Then the next person would get to pick three landmark numbers and so on. The lesson continued with this procedure and with most the students participating. At the end of the lesson, the students shared their strategies for finding landmark numbers and showed the rest of the class their 10,000 chart.

What went well:
* The students were better about listening to me this time and were not quite as talkative as when I have taught previously. I especially noticed this because usually when Mrs. Donaldson is out of the room, they test me a little more.
* Timing throughout the lesson was where I wanted it for the most part (the wrap up was where we realized there were some big misunderstandings/misconceptions so the wrap-up ended up having a different focus than originally planned).
* Clear directions (or so I thought!)
* Active participation
* I stated my teaching point more than once. My teaching point was that if you put landmark numbers correctly on your 10,000 chart it will be easier to then find large numbers on your chart more quickly. for example: you put down the landmark number 1,000 on your chart and now it will be much easier to find 1,015 on the chart.

What I would do differently next time:
* Compare and contrast the 100 chart with the 10,000 chart so that students could visually see that we were not counting by 10’s from row to row. (For example: 10 skip down a row to 20, skip down a row to 30 and so on….) but that now we were going to be skipping down by 100’s. This was an area that if discussed would have saved the students a lot of confusion.
* Figure out a way for student to be held individually responsible so that all students equally participated. It was too much of a free for all. On the other hand, they are in 5th grade and know how to work in partnerships, so it is their responsibility to contribute. This could be an area where a quick 2 minute discussion on partnerships/team work is brought up and reviewed and put to rest quickly.
* Although I stated my teaching point explicitly, I am not sure if students really grasped the idea. Next time, I would like to have a clear phrase or sentence regarding how the 10,000 chart will help in a similar way that the hundreds chart has been a tool to help them find numbers on the chart quickly, to see patterns and to visually see what is happening when large numbers change. Thinking of clear and concise way of saying that will be my goal tonight.
* Students will repeat this activity for the first part of the lesson tomorrow and there will be more of a direct goal and expectation that students will share with their peers. The direct expectation will be to come up with a strategy for finding landmark numbers and tell why this works. Students need to be able to prove their numbers are in the right place.

Questions and Ponderings:
* After these initial lessons with the 10,000 chart, how will the students use this knowledge to help them throughout the investigation? It is helpful to use a 100 chart because you can keep it handy and it is easy to use. The 10,000 chart is huge and not conducive when trying to quickly solve a large addition or subtraction problem. I think in order for me to really use this tool well I need to believe in it as a helpful and productive chart. I would love to talk about this so as to understand the purpose more clearly.

2 comments:

Carole Donaldson said...

Hi Christine, So I'm going to push your thinking just a little further. You did a wonderful job of coming up with positives. What did you do, what were your teacher moves, that helped the students do a better job of listening to you than previously? What did you do to help the pacing of the lesson? Personally, I always struggle with this one in the investigations. It seems like there is never enough time to truly get to understanding and I'm always cutting them short. What were your teacher moves that kept students actively participating? Good job stating your teaching point more than once. I think there is not such thing as stating your teaching point too much. Was your teaching point one of your learning targets? Is the purpose of the 10,000 chart to aide with addition/subtraction or is it to get at your place value goal?

I must say that the kids were very well behaved and on-task as I entered and exited the room. That was why I felt comfortable leaving you in charge so I could plan reteaching of the old unit and supports for the current unit. You seemed to have everything under control quite nicely.

Carole Donaldson said...

Hi Christine _ I had the students add numbers today at the end of the day. Most of the groups got between 10 & 15 numbers added. Unfortunately, 4 of the 5 groups place most of those numbers incorrectly! BUMMER!! For the most part, the errors seemed to be in the hundreds row; they would place the number in the correct spot just typically a row above the correct spot so they aren't seeing the first row in a 1000 group as no hundreds and the 2nd row as numbers with 100.... Anna and I skyped and talked about throwing out the 10000 chart and using some place value materials with the place value blocks and some old curriculum. She's not even going to do the 10,000 chart when she teaches this unit. Let's look closely at that on Monday. Have a great weekend.