Okay, but here is what I really need to be writing about and reflecting on. My time at Sumas has been filled with teaching and learning as usual. After finishing my TWS, I became very focused on figuring out the data and trying to get an understanding of what their work was showing me in regards to their conceptual and procedural understanding. Carole and I rejoiced in the fact that after the final assessment on the unit all the students were between a 3- and a 4 (4 being the highest). This was a great feeling and also a relief because these 'expectations' or standards have been moved down to third grade so these student NEED to know this, and know it well. That being said, there are still a few students who I am not comfortable saying really and truly have it both conceptually and procedurally. Keeping this in mind will be important as we head into unit after unit this year.
Now that my TWS lessons are taught and I am focusing on the write-up, I have also had a lot of time to reflect on the improvement of my teaching skills as well as a re-focus on what I need to continually work on and develop. Lets start with what is making me feel good.......
** I feel as though I my management has improved since the beginning of this quarter. I am slowly coming into my own when it comes to management style. I tend to use my more quiet nature when dealing with the students, and most of the time this has worked pretty well. When it doesn't work, I have realized that letting them get away with it is not an option so there has been a few times where I have had to express how I felt disrespected by them. This was mostly when there was a sub and the students were testing me. I also feel that my confidence has improved when it comes to giving directions. I am getting better about being more clear and concise (though always room for improvement). Also, I am trying to be more aware of the types of questions I ask so that I can move beyond yes/no questions. This is an area where I still have far to go but just being able to try and focus on that (and not just getting through the lesson itself) is improvement itself!
I am getting a little bit better at the insane multi-tasking teaching takes but I still feel as though I have far to go....I always make so many mistakes when I try and multi-task too much so finding my style and ability to do so is essential!
Some areas where I hope to have improved in by the time December comes are......
- Teaching more literacy so that I can get more feedback in that area.
- Math terminology - still need to work on using math vocabulary correctly. This is a tough one for me. Especially, when I am focusing on just getting through the lesson
- Not saying....."Does that make sense?".....and "Does everyone understand?" and being really repetitive before havig them get started on a task.
- Being more organized (I have gotten better, but still get overwhelmed by my disorganization sometimes)
- Sequencing and selecting while also conferring in a effeicient and helpful manner. This is a tough one!!!
- and many more things I am sure.....
Generally, this is where I am feeling good and hoping for improvement with. I would love to have more feedback about areas of improvement (areas where I have improved and what I need to work on improving more....)
I will blog again soon, sooner than later this time.
Whew~Christine

2 comments:
Christine ~
1. Your quiet manner is a presence in the classroom. As long as you are clear and consistent about your expectations you will do fine with management. I agree you have grown tremendously in this aspect since last March when you were so meek. Being firm when you feel disrespected is acceptable and expected from others in the profession. You can't let them - students or other staff - get away with it.
2. You have improved in so many ways in last past few months, not to mention since we started teaching together. In the beginning you were so focused on you and getting through the lesson, all new teachers are, that you would wander around thinking about what you were going to say next instead of what the students were really doing and how you could help them. You were the focus, not the students. That has shifted; you are now thinking about the students first. You are still evaluating and reflecting on what you've said but this time it's with more of an emphasis on how it landed on the students, did they understand it, than on if you said it right or what you will say next. Your next steps are more focused in response to what the students are doing or saying during your conferring or monitoring time instead of on what your plan says you should say next. This is the multi-tasking you were talking about that is so incredibly difficult yet important.
3. This leads to another skill you've begun to master - the one teaching point. That is where knowing your teaching point so thoroughly is valuable; you know what they need to learn and that's in the forefront of your mind so you are able to do that multi-tasking and thinking on your feet that is necessary to good, solid teaching.
4. Your conferring skills are much more developed and refined than when you began. You are thinking about how to ask questions to get at their thinking - much deeper than the surface conferring from last spring. Again, this shows a focus on the students and their learning instead of the focus on you and just getting through the conference.
4. You are taking on more responsibilities with families - I threw you to the lions and had you lead a SLP conference and you came through with flying colors. I know you had butterflies the entire time, but the family had no idea and you were very professional and engaging.
5. As well, your pacing is very good. You are getting to a point where you are starting to "feel" when it's been too long and a change is needed. You are "feeling" when they're not getting it so your mini-lesson has to go a bit longer because independent work time would be wasted for most of them or you would be putting out to many fires at conferring time and not getting to the heart of the matter. And, like most of us, you feel crunched for the share which you know is so essential that you can't skip it.
I think your next steps are very appropriate for you. I can't wait to see your plan on Monday about how you plan to take over more content and even more of the teaching during the day so you will be ready for fulltime teaching.
I will miss you immensely when you leave for Prague. You are a fine teacher and I feel privledged to have gotten to work with you.
Carole
Carole -
Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. It is greatly appreciated and wonderfully motivating. I am going to miss you as my mentor teacher, the students, and Sumas as a whole when I leave for Prague. Again, thank you so very much. ~Christine
Post a Comment