Well, I have made it halfway through conferences. It has gone well and I have gotten the chance to lead a few and be a part of many. It has been an unbelievably valuable experience and I am so glad that Carole has been so open to me taking the reins a couple of times. I have no doubt that it is difficult to relinquish the control when she is so involved with her students! There have been many amazing moments while conferencing. I have realized how important it is as a teacher to establish a relationship with the parents and the importance of professionalism and being clear on why you are doing what you are doing in your classroom. Parents can be great, difficult, disappointing and so supportive. There are so many different types of parents, families and reactions from everyone. Since the conferences are student led there are many different emotions happening within the conference. Everyone is bringing something to the table and knowing how to keep the atmosphere positive is important and difficult.
I have had some other awakenings recently as a beginning teacher. In our 5th grade class there has been three family deaths (two grandparents and one foster parent) that has rocked the class and reminded me that there is more than just lesson plans and teaching that occur in a school day. I do not feel that I should release too many details because it is not my place but what I can acknowledge and learn from is that it is important to be there for the students but to also continue the day, the week, so that there is still structure yet a supporting community within the classroom. I tend to get so wrapped up in lesson plans, reflections, getting through the day and what is happening in my life (school or personal) that I forget that another aspect of being a teacher is being involved and supportive for the students in their personal lives as well. I feel that I am not saying what this has made me realize in the most coherent way....I guess that basically, it has made me think, made me reflect and opened my eyes a little more to the role of teacher and truly how many hats you do wear.
To wrap it all up....conferences have been great, such an incredibly valuable experience and I feel I know these students even more completely or as much as I can at this point in the year. Also, students lives extend beyond school and my support for them needs to extend beyond the school setting as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi christine-
First, I think it is so interesting that your conferences are student-led! That must be a neat experience and soooo good for the students to learn to reflect and self-assess. I haven't been to my conferences yet, but they start tomorrow and I am so excited/nervous!
Also, I think you are absolutely right about the role of teaching being so much more than lesson plans. It is so important for us to realize that students are coming into our class with such varying experiences and so many things that will affect their learning. I'm happy that you have articulated a thought that I have been trying to form- that we are teachers, but we are so much more than that, too. We have to be there for our students in even more ways than we learn in college. Sometimes it is important just to care. That can make all the difference in the world.
I hope you are getting excited for Prague! It will be here before you know it!
Post a Comment