Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Whole Day (almost)

Today I taught math, literacy and science. It was such a great experience. It was incredibly nerve-wracking but totally worthwhile and informative. I have to admit that I have battled with the idea that with this model it would be really difficult since the 5th graders are in different classes for these subjects. I was worried about being in a new class every subject and being able to adapt and adjust as necessary. Since I am comfortable with math and been in that classroom and with Carole the most I was less nervous about teaching math. I am also comfortable with the literacy classroom since I have been teaching more and more. The science classroom I had yet to teach in so this was a little nerve-wracking and considering I also developed the two lessons mostly on my own. The science teacher helped but all the materials were my responsibility. I couldn't believe it though, it went pretty smoothly for an intern teacher!

What was so great about it was that I was able to use my knowledge about the structure of math and literacy to inform what I did in science. This was a huge advantage and the science teacher, Tammy, even commented on it. I also did a short read-aloud in literacy to prep them for what we would be doing in science later today. This was great and made the transition into science much more smooth. I was also able to group the students in a purposeful way which felt great. I realized in science that since I had taught them all day my comfort level with them was even more personal and relaxed which I felt was great for all of us.

No, the day was not perfect. There were many things that I would do differently and will do differently. In math there is always a concept that I have my own ah-ha moments with. In literacy I should have taught bibliographies as a mid-teaching mini-lesson but will do tomorrow even though they have already been using website information. And in science, I should have been better prepared for the students that are pulled out in the other two classes. All in all though, I am proud of myself for making it through the whole day.....except for calendar math when I was watching a videotape of myself instead :)

1 comment:

Carole Donaldson said...

YEAH!! You are so ready for your full-time student teaching and for having your own classroom. You have what we call "The Teacher Identity." You think like a teacher, reflect like a teacher, observe like a teacher. Your students will be lucky to have you as a teacher. I, on he other hand, will miss you terribly and so will my students. You make me a better teacher with your questions, observations and reflections. There will be a hole in 5th grade when you leave. ~ Carole