Wednesday, December 10, 2008

go, go, go!

On monday I taught all the math sections for the 5th grade and was the only 'teacher' in the room...wow...it was a little intense! I got done with the first session and felt as though I had been really short and quick with the students. When Carole came in afterwards I told her that I felt as though my temper had risen. Once I started thinking about it, I realized that since I was the only teacher in the room (we have had 3-4 educators in the room all year and it has been wonderful) I really felt the push to confer with the kids quickly and efficiently. This meant that I tended to rush and wanted them to 'just get it'. While talking with Carole she said that this is why it is so important to have a good and purposefully planned conferring schedule so that you get to all the students throughout the week and as neccessary. Advice I will definitly take and work on.

TWS - DONE!!! Literacy at WWU - DONE!!! Special ED: Almost DONE!!!
I can not believe that this is my last week on Westerns campus

Next on the list: Christmas program... actually very excited for this. I am thrilled to see them perform! Then, Winterfest ~ my last day with the 5th graders and with Carole...bummer but exciting none the less

2 comments:

Maestra said...

Hey Christine-

I felt the same way when I was teaching on my own! I felt like I was shorter with them, too. I thought about it for awhile and realized that when you are the only one in the room, you have to really manage every little thing, whereas when you have someone else there, they can help manage the class.

I can't believe everything this quarter is done, either! I'm so excited for you (jealousy aside) and I hope you keep blogging so we can read about your adventures in Prague!

Enjoy your last couple of weeks here, then go have lots of fun in Europe! I will really miss having you around next quarter.

<3 Salina

Carole Donaldson said...

Hi Christine ~

I feel the same way as Salina about having another adult, you, in the room - I don't have to handle every little thing. I, too, have been much shorter with the students now that it is only me and 22 of them. Much more challenging than when there are more bodies in the room to meet students' needs. I remember being done at WWU; I was very excited but felt like I was losing something because I had been a student for so long. That feeling goes away pretty quickly, thankfully. Congrats on finishing with flying colors. ~ Carole